Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How Do I Change The Bolt Knob On My Rem 700

I would like to install a tactical knob like the one in the picture. My problem is that the handle where the knob is rectangular not round. I know the one in the picture is a complete replacement handle.

as anyone had any experience with this type of modification? What is the procedure? Can I add this to my current stock rem handle or do I have to do a complete replacement? and how is the rem handle attached? it does not look welded

post-132-1177763605_thumb.jpg

Reminton bolts usually have bolt handles brazed/silver-soldered on (shhh... so is the bolt head, but don't tell any 700 owners).

I might be mistaken, but after-market tactical bolts for Remingtons should be brazed-on just like the original. The pictures on Midway and Brownells show the wrap-around on the bolt base, with the bolt diameter radius.

That wrap-around provides additional surface area for the braze; it helps increase shear strength.

Remington handles are known to pull-off at inappropriate times. There are gunsmiths that are setup for repairing the handle. You might want to do a web search for one that does. There are also 'smiths that will WELD on a bolt handle, but my thinking is that it was a pricey proposition.

From the look at the knob in the picture,I think I could thread one on if I had a knob.I done that a while back on an old .22,and it worked like a champ.Jerry

From the look at the knob in the picture,I think I could thread one on if I had a knob.I done that a while back on an old .22,and it worked like a champ.Jerry

One of the guys who wrote a product review on the midwayusa site said that he cut on the knob with a hacksaw at first then used a file until he had it round and then threaded it.

Im a little nervous about cutting on a perfectly good remington bolt though.