Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Svt40 That The Canadian Govt. Says I Can Buy

Guest oldbikewrench

Guest oldbikewrench

Yep I found 2 SVT40's in Canada, but they have a law that says that rifle, or any C&R rifle, cannot be sent out of country.

To bad because they both seem to be in pretty good condition and about $660.00 US each. I only want one of them.

I am bummed!

Guest oldbikewrench

Called the BATFE to find out for sure about the laws. Well it seems our govt. says no to importing that rifle because, now get this, it was made in Russia and there is no sporting need for that rifle here.

It sucks to be you .... :P

I'm glad you clarified that it is a US law that stops you importing the SVT.

I can buy all the SVT's I want, here in 'anti gun' Canada. Weird, eh? :blink:

I suppose we don't have a big enough firearms manufacturers lobby that will back legislation designed to keep out cheap imports.

Are there no US sources for these rifles, and what other countries (besides China) are on the banned from import list? I wasn't aware that Russia was ...

Guest oldbikewrench

First off, the gentlemen I talked to at P & S Guns and Militaria (www.psmilitaria.50megs.com) were friendly, helpful, professional and sympathetic. But due to a combination of Canadian and U.S. laws they could not sell me anything but antique firearms or militaria. And that included U.S. made Garands I could not but from them.

There are SVT40's in the U.S. and some for sale, but with a starting price of $750 and going up, well I just believe that would be just plain dumb of me to spend that kind of money on a rifle any rifle.

I shoot and hunt with my rifles, I don't just collect them. I can live without an SVT40.

When I was in the U.S. Army I shot the Russian SVD a good bit. I suppose that I will never see one of those here for sale either. Too bad, that was a really neat gun.

As far as the banned list, to be honest I didn't know there was a list. I still don't fully understand why the SVT's aren't allowed in but there are plenty of Russian Mosin Nagants still coming in and there are even modern Russian manufactured rifles coming in. It is almost like someone decided that they singled the SVT out and said "no more importing that one".

Oh well there are plenty of Lee Enfields, U.S. M1917's, Mausers and Mosin Nagants to keep me busy.

As far as I've read online, there don't appear to be any firearms moving into the US from Canada. I'm not sure exactly why that is because we've always been on fairly good terms with the Canadians, but it presently appears to be case.

Its weird how the BATFE can "make" law when they try isn't it?

Maybe its done to stop the terrorists ... you know, the same way gun control is supposed to prevent crime! :rolleyes:

It seems to me more than a few of these controls were imposed during the Clinton years. A few others were likely prompted after the events of 9-11.

Mind you, you haven't got it that bad compared to us.

At the moment importing stuff from the US into Canada is hellishly difficult. I'm not even referring to major components of rifles but quite trivial parts of rifles like AR15's and M14's like stocks and other furniture and most optics. Any magazine or other component of such 'assault rifles' is strictly controlled and parts which are perfectly legal to own in Canada such as short rifle barrels, are being denied import permits. The really hilarious one is the control of parts kits of WW2 vintage firearms ... do you think that Al Quaeda is relly depending on imports of MP40 parts kits (via Canada) to sustain their war efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq? :lol::rolleyes:

The Canadian customs people are bad enough without having to deal with US restrictions as well.

• 3 weeks later...

cant it be shipped (via UPS or soemthing like that) to a curio and relic card holder?? or to a certified FFL card holder? this is not considered a sporting rifle, but a collectable rifle , therefore wouldnt stand true to what the ATF said about the SPORTERIZATION of the rifle. but as a collectable.

cant it be shipped (via UPS or soemthing like that) to a curio and relic card holder?? or to a certified FFL card holder? this is not considered a sporting rifle, but a collectable rifle , therefore wouldnt stand true to what the ATF said about the SPORTERIZATION of the rifle. but as a collectable.

Do you mean shipped from Canada to the US?

Probably not from the sounds of the first post in this thread. Besides it might well be a Department of Trade issue and not an ATF issue .... lots of rules and different agencies involved in firearms it seems.