Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrles And Recievers

Brenden

clemson

do you think you can get ED SHULIN to post what he has in the way of stocks , with a price list.. we might be able to send him some biz..

Ed doesn't "post". He does answer the phone, however. He will duplicate a stock for you using either your wood or his. His turnaround time is much faster than virtually anyone else I have dealt with.

Clemson

My experience has been contrary to what your load book says. The .257 Rbt's AI is one of the few AI cartridges that delivers. Consult more than one load book.

Almost any 8x57 length cartridge will see substantial gains in a standard length action.

Mike, I looked at the sierria book, it shows a 100 fps gain. Is Building an AI really worth it? I kinda think that my 25-06 does everything the AI does and more, even though the 2506 has more wasted space and a longer COL. Do the AI's have a tendiceny to be more accurate? Or is the AI just something to talk about?

Elobrate on the substantial gains in a standard lenght action for me please.

Brenden

I kinda think that my 25-06 does everything the AI does and more, even though the 2506 has more wasted space and a longer COL. Do the AI's have a tendiceny to be more accurate? Or is the AI just something to talk about?...

the 257 AI will do almost as much as the 25-06, but with less powder, which means it costs a little less to shoot and will be a bit easier on the barrel.

the shorter powder column is all the rage these days and is supposed to be inherently more accurate. I think that is probably true.

in addition to the above, the 257 AI is easier on the rifle due to reduced bolt thrust, and the brass lasts longer from reduced stretching.

Is Building an AI really worth it? if the reaming does not cost you much more, and you reload, I would say yes. Lee has the 257 AI dies for a very reasonable price. is it a big difference between the 257 and 257 AI? no. but it's a real difference that's worth it to me.

be advised RCBS has a 257 AI cut (30 degrees, IIRC), and there is a standard one out there too. The gun I am working on now uses the other one, which I think is the standard 257 AI 40 degree version. soon as richard's sends me the stock I will be able to develop some loads for it.

Brenden,

I'm not much of an AI fan but the .257 is one of the few AI's that truely benefit. Partially it is because the factory loadings are at somewhere around 46,000 cup. Hard not to improve upon that. But, loaded to equal pressures, the AI does show a significant gain. Is it worth it? That's a question only you can answer. Load boooks are only guides, often to be taken with a grain of salt. case in point the 8mm-06. Look at Nosler's book. they show the 8mm-06 using LESS powder with the same bullet powder combo than the 8x57. Anyone with half a brain knows the '06 case has greater capacity. So, why then did they load less powder? Your guess is as good as mine. The 8mm-06 is good for somewhere between 50 - 100 fps more than the 8x57. Is it worth it, to some maybe. But when you can launch a 200 grain bullet to 2700 fps in the 8x57 the added effort of a wildcat doesn't excite me.

The .22 K-Hornet is an improved cartridge that is well worth the effort. Primarily because of increased brass life.

The .257 has been handicapped most of its life by being stuck in short magazines. This infringes upon case capacity when you are required to seat the bullet deep. In a standard length mag you can seat the 120's as long as possible until you nearly touch the lands without worry of running out of magazine length. I have a .257 on a Browning A-Bolt, great rifle but I am limited by the short magazine length. I can't even get 70 grain bullets anywhere near the lands due to OAL limits. Same goes for the 7x57. Most commercial variants (european) were built on the intermediate action. The few built on standard length actions were coveted by knowledgable hunter/shooters due to the ability to seat the heavy bullets out longer. If you only intend to shoot lighter bullets then there isn't as much potential upside except being able to seat out to the lands. For some folks, that alone is worth the effort.

Use whatever you please. I just prefer the standard length actions for all the reasons I've already mentioned. If you like one of the few off the shelf stock offerings for the intermediates then you are gold, if not, then you will have a much easier time finding a stock that suits your tastes with a standard 98. Just MHO.

Clemson, since your the Ed Shulin expert now, how many intermediate stock patterns does he have? :lol:

Damn, I got promoted!

I have only bought one stock from Ed. That one was very recently. When I talked with him, I asked him about the Yugo's, and he said he had a pattern for the intermediates. Now I don't know just how many patterns he has. I bought a plain jane classic, machined from a stick of his claro, for a G33/40. It looks like it will make a great stock. Turnaround time was about a week. Next time I need a decent stock for a Yugo, however, I think I will buy it from Ed. His inletting is superior.

Clemson

See what happens when you work hard and follow the rules, lol.

Yeah, Ed is quite the find. I've used him for a while now and never had reason to complain. Like you say, he'll use your pattern or his (he does a better job with his) and his product is much better than someone like Richards or Boyds. He's worked with me in the past to make stocks for some oddball actions.

He, like most duplicators, probably only has one pattern stock for the Yugo's. So, my point was selection for the Yugo's is limited. But then again, his pattern is likely to suit most people's tatses and beats both Boyds and Richards.

;)

z, thanks alot for your info. Like hearing your expertice ;) I see what you mean about the intermiedate's. A standard would be nice to set the bullets out a little. Plus it would give me more stocks to play with. I may go w/a bob improved, be sometihing diffrent. Thanks to all that gave advice. I need to call and get some actions comin my way.

Brenden

Didn't get a chance to call...never had anytime today. I know that manlicher is a very fine specimen. I'm leaning towards a k-kale in 257 bob improved B)

Brenden

Just my 2 cents worth. Sarco is a great source for all kinds of mauser (and other) stuff but without FFL, you can't buy an action. With a C&R you can buy the whole thing. They won't sell a barreled action or receiver to a C^R so just buythe whole thing. Good Luck. PS Sarco can be a bear to deal with. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

I ordered a kar98az action from them and it took 7 months to get it.

dagone. If i gotta wait 7 months, i'll get my mosin out, they don't wanna meet him...lol.

waterdogz,

i don't have ffl or C&R, i just call and my ffl dealer gives me the account # and i order....works for me.

Brenden

I ordered a kar98az action from them and it took 7 months to get it.

you live in alaska it was probably dark when the delivery guy was trying to deliver it he had to wait for the sun to come up to find your house ha ha !!!

well for my 2 cents the ackley versions of the 257 bob and the 7 x57 make sense they are the two that are not over bore for caliber and they are a great fit for the intermideate length 98 especialy if you what 25-06 or near 280 rem performance out of it and the yugos are plentifull and cheap $89 barrled action at century thats cheaper than a k kales right now and the better std 98's are getting harder to find and more expensive so sooner or latter where all going to be using them look at the turks for instance a while back you could get 3 for $159 or so now if your lucky you will find one for $100 and the swedes you used to could get them for $79 try and find one now for a $179

so my rant will end with they make sense if you want to better your balistic performance on an action thats handicaped by a 1/4" and as horsefly pointed out to me any small ring stock will work with a little work and look at the selection on those still out there

the yugos are plentifull and cheap $89 barrled action at century thats cheaper than a k kales right now and the better std 98's are getting harder to find and more expensive so sooner or latter where all going to be using them.

Not me, I've got so many std 98's stashed away that I'll never HAVE to use a yugo. I do have one M24 that I'll be sporting but that's by choice.

Not me, I've got so many std 98's stashed away that I'll never HAVE to use a yugo. I do have one M24 that I'll be sporting but that's by choice.

thats because your old and you got a head start on your stash over us young bucks i figure that by the time some one calls me old my pile of 24/47's might be in demand ha ha !!!!

besides wouldnt you rather have us amatures making mistakes and buba-ing up the intermediates and save the few std 98's we can afford for latter on when we think we know what where doing heck im still trying to find my first mex so i can butcher it maybe even weld ring bases to it like the 96 i saw at a gun show they where some real pretty welds though ....ha !!!

but in all reality whats so bad about the 24/47s some of the 48s ive seen wherent to bad either but even i wouldnt use the 48A for a build i was going to put alot of time into the machining on every one ive seen is pretty rough and theres not a whole lot you can do with the stamped bottom metal but th 24/47s clean up real nice and slick

thats because your old and you got a head start on your stash over us young bucks i figure that by the time some one calls me old my pile of 24/47's might be in demand ha ha !!!!

besides wouldnt you rather have us amatures making mistakes and buba-ing up the intermediates and save the few std 98's we can afford for latter on when we think we know what where doing heck im still trying to find my first mex so i can butcher it maybe even weld ring bases to it like the 96 i saw at a gun show they where some real pretty welds though ....ha !!!

but in all reality whats so bad about the 24/47s some of the 48s ive seen wherent to bad either but even i wouldnt use the 48A for a build i was going to put alot of time into the machining on every one ive seen is pretty rough and theres not a whole lot you can do with the stamped bottom metal but th 24/47s clean up real nice and slick

The funny thing about the m48a's is that in general they are beter made than the m48. I've seen a lot of m48's that weren't straight. On a coupl ethe boltface had a .003" accross its face. That and they tend to be more roughly machined. the M48a seems to have been given a liitle mor ethought. I suspect that since it is version 2 of post war production they'd worked out some of the bugs. True, the bottom metal is ugle but lioght. Easy to swap for decent bottome metal though. You're right though that the 24/47's are the real gems.

I think most of the yugos are really good in original form as shooters. The fact that most , that I've bought, have had darn near brand new barrels helps I'm sure.