Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrles And Recievers

Brenden

hello all. Numrich has some barrled recievers for the 24/47 and m48 and i've been thinking about buying a couple of them for some projects. MY dealer charges about $225 just to order me in a 47 and then i have left over wood and hardware that isn't much use to me. My question is, are these barrled recievers usually in good shape? And whats up with the yugo bolts, darn if i can find one. Anybody got a link to track down some of these rare birds? also if anybody's got any old 47 bolts for a decient price, i'm more than willing to take em off your hands. Also, i'll order a few 24/47's if anybody is intrested in buying the wood and hardware off of me. just a though. Ya'll have a good one.

Brenden

No first hand experience on the barreled recievrs but I find that buying a complete rifle is usually the best bet. You can sell the stock & hardware on ebay for more than you'd think. Thus reducing your cost on the action.

Buying a barreled receiver sounds to me like you're going to be missing some important parts, like maybe the bolt and or bottom metal.

I agree with Z1r on this, get the complete rifle. That way you at least have a shooter until you decide exactly what you're going to do with it.

Also, I've gotten some very nice milsurps that after checking them out found they were very collectable or too nice to sporterize.

Brenden,

Assuming you're 21.

Get a C&R FFL and buy all the M48's and 24/47's you want at dealer price. A C&R will cost you $30 and a few minutes of your time. Its well worth it.

here inlays the problem.....I'm (almost) 20. A sporting shop down the road will order me in all the actions and recievers i want for a whoppin $5 extra, but a complete gun...boy oh boy do the bend you over. I go to gun shows, all the mausers i'm finding are 100 higher than they should be and are on their last leg, i mean complete no saving junk, and most are spanish/mex's. Not something i want to build off of. Numrich has barreled recievers for $70, and i'm dealing around trying to pick up bottom metal, and bolts. I can't find bolts anywhere, and their $62 on numrich. ouch. All well just a though, i may still pick up just one reciever or barreled reciever just to have on a rainy day. ;) thanks all

Brenden

bert, no i havn't....would they have some complete actions? like to find a couple actions w/out barrels to add my own, and i think i'll just go with a complet gun instead of fighting the hassle of trying to find a rare as hens teeth intermideate bolt. I was wanting to sport a yugo 8mm anyway so may as well get the moldy money out.lol

Brenden

i mean complete no saving junk, and most are spanish/mex's. Not something i want to build off of. Numrich has barreled recievers for $70, and i'm dealing around

Brenden

Next time you find a mex at a gun show buy. If you don't want it I'll buy it from you.

ken, i assume he's talking about the small ring 93's.

brendan, if you run into a '93 bolt with the flat bottom, let me know. i only need the bolt.

heath

Will do...Found one saturday for $175....bore shot, reciever shot, needed alot of tlc. I thought about it, i really did, i knew it was something but i passed.

Anyway.....just checked out J&G....24/47's in execlent shape for 129. I'm buying one. Found some russians....a 91/30 for $59, a m44 for around the same...i'm buying them both. Also found some m-48 actions from sacro for $89.00, i'm buying one, and Tanglewood (Rod) just told me about some k-kales for around $90 at centry...guess what...i'm gonna get one. I'm going hard core here fellas, some major gun work gonna go on here. Sacro also has some nice husky's (sporters) in 9.3X57 for $165 w/ some cracked stocks, good lookin guns.....i'm starting to like them... :D

Brenden

well, looks like you can stop looking. tanglewood happened to have one! thanks though, and good luck with SARCO. some have good experiences, some have bad. guess which camp i am in...

heath

Will do...Found one saturday for $175....bore shot, reciever shot, needed alot of tlc. I thought about it, i really did, i knew it was something but i passed.

Anyway.....just checked out J&G....24/47's in execlent shape for 129. I'm buying one. Found some russians....a 91/30 for $59, a m44 for around the same...i'm buying them both. Also found some m-48 actions from sacro for $89.00, i'm buying one, and Tanglewood (Rod) just told me about some k-kales for around $90 at centry...guess what...i'm gonna get one. I'm going hard core here fellas, some major gun work gonna go on here. Sacro also has some nice husky's (sporters) in 9.3X57 for $165 w/ some cracked stocks, good lookin guns.....i'm starting to like them... :D

Brenden

Brenden: Did you call SARCO for availability?? MV

Going to call first thing tomorrow...also found some barrled actions at samco....decisions decisions.

724wd,

Just got off the phone w/rod..he told me he had ya one.

Brenden

Brendon if your dealer is sticking it to you, look for another. Go to www.galleryofguns.com click on the gun locator, select any gun then go through the procedure of adding your zip code to find other dealers in your area. Make a few phone calls and find one that charges a reasonable price. You could possibly have somebody in your area working out of his home. I've found pawnshops usually have the lowest fees but some have a tendency to be unreliable as far as calling you when it arrives.

did you call sarco? i think im getting the bug for a small ring after seeing the manlicher

Didn't get a chance to call...never had anytime today. I know that manlicher is a very fine specimen. I'm leaning towards a k-kale in 257 bob improved B)

Brenden

Brenden

I wouldn't use a k kale for that save for a 06 length round and use a 24/47 or m48 action are perfect for a 257 need to be efficient these days since actions are getting scarce use right one for task at hand.

Rod

Thanks Rod. K-kale may be a good canidate for an 8mm-06 or something eles i find. The 257 improved isn't really improved vs the regular 257, according to Hornady handbook. If i didn't allready have a 25-06, i'd do that. I'd like to go to something big, but don't really need it, my 30-6 and 7 mag will handle anything i plan to hunt. It may be time to add a 7x57 to the arsnel. I'll figure out what cal to use when i recieve my actions, for right now i'm looking, money is still tough.

Brenden

The 257 improved isn't really improved vs the regular 257, according to Hornady handbook....

ackley himself thought it one of his favorites, and what it does not gain in sheer ballistics, it does gain in reduced bolt thrust. the reduced thrust may not be importatnt in 98s and the like, but in other mausers, I (for whatever that is worth) think it is a considerable benefit.

My experience has been contrary to what your load book says. The .257 Rbt's AI is one of the few AI cartridges that delivers. Consult more than one load book.

I personally wouldn't go an AI route in a pre-98 in hopes of hotrodding it. Just doesn't make sense.

Also, I'd be pre-disposed to use a std 98 rather than an intermediate. Only because for the average guy std 98 stocks come in all flavors. Much more of a selection than in the intermediate length. Nothing wrong with the intermediates but do a search and see how many stocks you can really find. If your tastes don't match the handfull offered you're outta luck. Whereas every stockmaker I've seen has at least 6 patterns for a std 98. I reserve the Yugos for .308 length cartridges. Almost any 8x57 length cartridge will see substantial gains in a standard length action. Collectors of original mauser sporting rifles fall all over themsleves when a 7x57 is offered in a standard length action.

I've heard some say the 257 ai will out preform and some say it won't. really, its all about saying i shoot an "Ackley Improved" yeeee haw wopdi do. A regular bob would suit me. I'm just a fan of the intermidiate's cuz of thats what i've already got and i've had good luck with em. I put a intermidiate in a regular 98 stock, (at the time i didn't know better), it doesn't look bad, just alot of work involved in fitting, and the fitting may not be proper, but it shoots dam good. As far as stock choices, i know their limited, but the ones they offer (sporterexpress.com) i like. so no biggie. I'll get a regular standard length as soon as the pay check comes, or somebody buys my winchester. < hint hint. ;)

Brenden

Clem: get him to post some stocks, i may be in the market soon. Anybody got any snythetic stock pinned down for a intermidate? havn't seen any that i can remember