Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8x60s Pictures

Howdy all,

I got my 8x60s barreled action back from the gunsmith about a month ago and I vowed to post pictures. Its been a while, but I finally got my camera working again. Kind of.

Anyway, here's what I have to display.

This barreled action started life as a 1944 K.Kale. I bought the receiver from a MFRC member about four years ago and pieced together the rest of its parts from eBay and the assortment of loose parts I used to have on hand. I then had the bolt forged. Then I built three more rifles and set this action aside.

Fast forward a few years. A fellow I know had just moved out of California, got his FFL, and started working on guns. He and I have been in contact to discuss various things for several years, mostly guns and especially Mausers, and I consider him a good friend and mentor. And I really wanted to own some of his work. One day we had a conversation about guild Mausers and decided maybe it was time that I owned some fine custom Mauser work.

Here is the result and I cannot be prouder of it. My camera does not do it justice at all:

riflepics007.jpg

We went with open sights only. Here is the barrel; notice the soldered on sling mount.

riflepics009.jpg

Here's a close up of the rear sight:

riflepics010.jpg

Here's the ramped front sight:

riflepics011.jpg

Again, my camera did a horrible job taking these pictures. You must see this rifle in bright, clear, morning sunlight to really appreciate it.

We went whole hog on this project. The action was heat treated, surface ground, and polished before the barrel was installed. Then, all the metal was sent out for hot bluing. The results are stunning.

I decided I wanted to open sighted with this rifle, just to have something different. I further plan to wrap a nice piece of walnut around this barrel action later this year. I hope to end up with something that resembles this:

146huskynicepattern.jpg

And did I mention it's an 8x60s? How cool is that??

I hope you guys in enjoy the photos. I've wanted to do this project for a long time and its finally coming together. I still lack a stock, but that will be remedied soon enough as well. All in all, I cannot be more pleased.

-Jason

Here's a close up of the bolt:

mauserbolthandle002.jpg

The bolt is forged and Mike had to address a couple areas with a file in order to make things work properly. The bolt now cycles smooth as oiled glass.

The next bolt on the next rifle I work on will be TIG welded on to prevent any issues with performance.