Military Firearm Restoration Corner

finishing the wood

Im getting the stuff together for fiinishing my 25-06, the action will be back to me next week from Skaggs Gunsmithing, and I'm getting a stock from richards microfit, in the tiger wood laminate. My question is what finish to use on the wood, so as not to darken it much if any, I would like it to be as transparent as possble without actually stainging the wood. I used a clear satin on another laminate, in camo, and it darkened it quite a bit. heres a pic of the wood Im dealing with and what Id like it to end up like, Thank You

user posted image

Im getting the stuff together for fiinishing my 25-06, the action will be back to me next week from Skaggs Gunsmithing, and Im getting a stock from richards microfit, in the tiger wood laminate. My question is what fisnish to use on the wood, so as not to darken it much if any, I would like it to be as transparent as possble without actually stainging the wood. I used a clear satin on another laminate, in camo, and it darkened it quite a bit.  heres a pic of the wood Im dealing with and what Id like it to end up like, Thank You

user posted image

3552[/snapback]

I use polyurathane spray

user posted image

If you like your finish on the wood then Spray on Poly would be good. But, if you like your finish IN the wood, then use a spar varnishand or modified tung oil finish. Another good product is called Ben Matte. One is quick, the other lasts and actually protects the wood.

Here is a laminate I did with the spar varnish finish. It is virtually impervious to weather and the finish didn't appreciably alter the coloration of the wood.

user posted image