Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Thanks for your help

rwims

Thanks for your help. I have accomplished something I've been wanting to do for about thirty years and that is custom build my own rifle. I built my son a 308 Win. with a vz24 action and a Parker Hale barrel for Christmas last year and liked it so well I had to build on for myself. Before I started either rifle I spent many months reading everyone's input. The rifle in the photo's is the one I built for myself. It is a m48-a action, Parker Hale 308 Win. barrel, Bold trigger, and a Boyds Varminter stock.

Thanks again.

rwims

rwims

rwims

rwims

Nice group of 10 shots.

I shot my brother's 35 Whelen with some book loads I loaded.

The big heavy 1909 pushed me back with recoil, but did not hurt.

I had seen pictures for years, but shooting the 35W really made me want one.

You can't see entry holes for all of them but there were 15 shots fired.

3731[/snapback]

That is an even NICER 15 shot group, then:)

rwims,you done good!! Your blued bolt really looks good.Seems not many do that anymore and I was trying to decide if I was going to polish or blue mine,but you helped me decide.Aint 308 a dandy caliber.I'm working on a 35Whelen and wish I had taken my stock a little darker to look more like what yours turned out.My Whelen is a 98/22 action too,so it looks like we think alike,that doesn't say much for your thinking.They are beautiful rifles,looks like you done a wonderful job,and now your family has some heirlooms to pass down.Where 'bouts do you hang your hat in East Texas?Jerry

Thanks Horsefly, The stock started out as the nutmeg laminate from Boyds but I wanted something a little darker. I used two coats of Minwax - Early American stain and then hand rubbed with tung oil. I'm about a hundred miles NE of big D.