Military Firearm Restoration Corner

$50 K98's

rustvyper

just got my century arms flyer. They are selling K98 u-fix-em's as cheap as $49.99 for multiple makes. German, Chech, Belgian, Austrian etc. These are poor-incomplete, but I figure the barrelled action alon is worth the price! I'm gonna order 4 or so & see how they come.

These are all in .308, so I assume they are IDF retreads.

?? They are not listed on ther web site.

I think you have to get theit fliers or be on their email list for specials. I get emails.

I believe you can order them in several different conditions. Poor, Fair, or Good U-Fix- Ems.

The January Special was buy 4 and get one free of the Fair U-Fix-Ems. I ordered that deal.

I'm hoping for some good actions. When they had the 03 Turks on special, out of 10 that I ordered only one action had any pitting to speak of and it wasn't that bad and headspace was good on 8 of them and 7 had good shootable bores. I was real pleased with the Turks.

This Deal was buy 4 at regular price (69.87) and get the 4th one for free. They're about out of the German rifles, but, when I ordered they had plenty Czech, and Belgium made rifles left. I picked 3 Czechs and 2 Belgiums. We will see. I hope I luck out again. I'll let ya'll know when they arrive.

Rojelio

Mine came in today. Total cost was 58.00 apiece shipped. I already stripped them down to the actions. All the barrels looked like pretty much junk. A couple might have been cleaned up with a lot of elbow grease. Four of the stocks were good and the fifth was broken at the wrist.

They were mostly complete except 2 safetys, 1 trigger guard screw, and one firing pin tip was broken. Two had stamped bottom metal.

Only one receiver had any pitting to speak of. Light pitting at the wood line. Will clean up nicely.

All of the bolt faces were nice and none of the lugs were set back in the receiver.

Overall I'm very pleased.

Rojelio

MVC-025m.jpg

Did you get the poor incompletes? I ordered 5 as well. Total cost @ $43.79 each. If they don't come with bolts though, I may wish I had done the step up & got the nicer ones. I'll post pics when I get them.

rustvyper, these were the fair incomplete ones for 69.87 apiece. With the free one, it knocked the price down to 58 dollars apiece shipped. I was very pleased with mine.

Rojelio

rustvyper, these were the fair incomplete ones for 69.87 apiece. With the free one, it knocked the price down to 58 dollars apiece shipped. I was very pleased with mine.

Rojelio

Are those the Israeli 98s with the big 7.62 on the receiver?

Are those the Israeli 98s with the big 7.62 on the receiver?

Yes, the FNs have the star of David Israeli crest and the Czechs have either dot or dou depending on which factory they were made. They all have a big 7.62 stamped on the front of the receiver ring about 3/8th of an inch tall and 1/2 inch wide. A base will mostly cover it up.

My FNs were a little better machined than the Czechs, but, the Czechs all had 1945 dates. I'm not worried about the hardness of the steel as none exibited setback after no telling how many rounds of 7.62 nato ammo down the tube.

Rojelio

MVC-030m.jpg

I tried today but all they had was poor incompletes. Without bolts they are useless. Too bad I wasn;t a bit quicker.

The early bird gets the worm (or mauser).

I just noticed today that 3 of my bolts don't have guide ribs. I've had one of them before and it seemed to work fine. One of them late war speed machining things I guess. The finish is fine on them just no guide rib.

Rojelio

The IDF kar98k I have came with a late bolt also.

I Called this morning and got the same reply they gave z1r. The sales guy also said they were junk.

I usually get Century's fliers but not this time. :angry:

Well I learned a lesson - that it's better not to cheap out! my 98's came & not one came with a bolt & only 2 came with bottom metal, both stamped. One action has heavy rust. I see jb weld & duracoat in that one's future. Otherwise they all were fairly ok. I'll post pictures when I finish breaking them down. The stocks are junk. 2 of the barrels are salvagable. the others I'm taking off with a pipe wrench - they are that bad.

Guess I should have got the FI's - oh well, live & learn! They'll all make great guns eventually. I had to ask myslef, "would I have paid $43 for this at a gunshow or yardsale? the answer is yes, so I still got a good deal. I'm already making up a back story for one belg that - get this - has a shoulder strap woven of baleing twine! I'm sure this puppy killed a ton of haji's off the walls of jerusalem back in 48! They sure did come from the desert though. Soon as my hands touched that cosmo I winced - bad memories! they even smell like the desert - they stink! :)

Well I learned a lesson - that it's better not to cheap out! my 98's came & not one came with a bolt & only 2 came with bottom metal, both stamped. One action has heavy rust. I see jb weld & duracoat in that one's future. Otherwise they all were fairly ok. I'll post pictures when I finish breaking them down. The stocks are junk. 2 of the barrels are salvagable. the others I'm taking off with a pipe wrench - they are that bad.

Guess I should have got the FI's - oh well, live & learn! They'll all make great guns eventually. I had to ask myslef, "would I have paid $43 for this at a gunshow or yardsale? the answer is yes, so I still got a good deal. I'm already making up a back story for one belg that - get this - has a shoulder strap woven of baleing twine! I'm sure this puppy killed a ton of haji's off the walls of jerusalem back in 48! They sure did come from the desert though. Soon as my hands touched that cosmo I winced - bad memories! they even smell like the desert - they stink! :)

rustvyper, how many of those belgium actions did you get? I just noticed on the two that I got that they have "H" rings instead of "C" rings. I've never seen military mausers that had "H" rings. I thought FN started that like in the 50s.

Rojelio

MVC-032S.jpg

Interesting! I got two Belgs. I haven't even pulled them apart yet. I did 2 then banged the **** outa my thumb, got mad & went & worked on something else. :rolleyes: Did the bolts have the H-lugs? of course mine didn't come with bolts. I'm really gonna kick myself because I just passed on 3 really pretty commercial mauser bolt bodies for $30 each. The only catch was that it had the H-lugs & I didn't want to put the work into grinding that lug off. I wonder what kind of safety issues arise about NOT having the H-lug on the bolt? I don't wanna find out!

Interesting! I got two Belgs. I haven't even pulled them apart yet. I did 2 then banged the **** outa my thumb, got mad & went & worked on something else. :rolleyes: Did the bolts have the H-lugs? of course mine didn't come with bolts. I'm really gonna kick myself because I just passed on 3 really pretty commercial mauser bolt bodies for $30 each. The only catch was that it had the H-lugs & I didn't want to put the work into grinding that lug off. I wonder what kind of safety issues arise about NOT having the H-lug on the bolt? I don't wanna find out!

Actually, they use the same bolt. The only difference is the primary torque shoulder inside the receiver is open on both sides. Not just where the extractor goes through. It's not a big deal. I've just never seen it on a military mauser.

Rojelio

I also understood the H ring to be from the 1950s sporters. It was to save cost in production.

Those must be post WWII because the Germans occupied the FN plant for most of the war.

Does anyone have some insight into this? Bilurey?

Especially because my understanding was most of these mauser were captured war surplus & shipped to the new state of israel in 48 & 49. The 308 rebores came after the war for independance in 48-49 from what I understand. Back then, they were happy to take whatever they could get. I'm sure some of these rifles saw some hard action. There wasn't much quarter given then.

Did the bolts have the H-lugs?

. The only catch was that it had the H-lugs & I didn't want to put the work into grinding that lug off. I wonder what kind of safety issues arise about NOT having the H-lug on the bolt?

I'm confused , What the heck is an H-lug on a bolt and why would you grind it off?????????

I know what a right/ bottom lug is.

I know what a left / ( split/top) lug is.

I know what a third/ safety lug is.

I know what a guide rib is.

Again ;What the heck is an H-lug on a bolt and why would you grind it off?

Tinker :blink:

Yeah, that was probably confusing. I didn't really know what I was talking about here. He was refering to the FN having the H config on the inside of the receiver. I was talking about something unrelated. Namely this:

post-3600-1233195121_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

On another note. One of my 2 belgs has the H. Odd, huh?

Rusty,

yer talkin about the guide rib on the bolt. these were omitted on late war production as well as early post war production.

As for teh so-called "H" ring, that started as early as late 48. Ijust received a 1948 made FN that is a transition action meaning it is the commercial (solid left wall) action but it also has a charger hump. It has the "H" ring. I also have it's twin made in 48 too yet it has the "C" ring. I have seen some '49's that had "C" rings. I think FN was all over the place during this time frame. These Israeli FN made actions were probably made it the '47-49 time frame.