Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Hurricane in the Piney Woods

roscoedoh

everybody in emergency management is scared shitless

Yes. Indeed they are. I'm borderline shitless myself. If you're scratching your head and wondering why, try this link: Jason's Locale vs. Fritz's Notice that the storm is most assuredly headed my direction once it makes landfall.

According to the DPS there's no gasoline available anywhere south of Corrigan and no hotel rooms available south of the Red River. Also, traffic leaving Houston and the Golden Triangle area is having difficulty leaving. That bothers the hell out of me because I go to Houston a lot and comprehend just how damn big the roads are down there.

In town, there are no batteries to be had and our gasoline supply is getting sketchy. The Wal-Mart supercenter is consistently sold out of bread, water, and milk as are all other stores in town that sell groceries. Traffic on US 59, south and north of town is crazy. Shelters are filling with out of towners and everyone else in town is starting to act squirrely and extremely anxious. Though we're not catching all the hell that's sure to ensue with this hits the shores, she's not going to peeder out that much by the time she gets up here Saturday night. I plan to ride this out and I've done as much as I know to do with respect of being ready. Except for the fact that it would be nice to have more iced tea packets and some D cell batteries for my boom box, I think I've got everything I need.

I've got food, water, candles, ice, and I'm putting things in order to haul ass if need be. I have a safe house a half mile away if things get too sporty here and I've got enough gas in the tank to get to Arkansas if need be and a reservation north of here if I need to exercise it. I am however just as reluctant to leave as Fritz is as hell, all my stuff's here. However, I have all the guns and other pertinent items ready to go.

The general attitude around Nacogdoches is that we're going to come through this alright. I agree. However, since my water supply is run by a well pump, I'm concerned with electrical outages effecting my short term water supply. Aside from a predicted 4"-10" of rain, my key concern is for the high wind we're supposed to get. Specifically, Nacogdoches is in the heart of the piney woods and the big trees we have don't like high sustained winds. Further, when the trees do fall, they tend to land on and damage property. I have lots of trees around me and I look at them with a feeling of anxeity thinking of what that big bull pine could do...

Although I wish it were Wednesday and all this is behind me, I think if we can make it through Saturday, we'll all be fine up here. In general, I have the same waining patience that Fritz has for it and the second his "Come on Rita."

And to top things off, tonight is a beautifully clear night - too nice for bad weather and bad things to come.

Jason

I work at the big UPS hub in mesquite, near dallas, we stopped sending trucks towards houston as of wednesday, and all the trucks from elswhere to anywhere south of Lufkin come to us now. We have as of today leased the Bigtown Mall parking lot for our overun of trailers, and do not expect the space to last long. We are expecting over 600 extra trailers to stockpile on friday. I also heard to expect 60+ mph winds in our area by tuesday. Yikes, this thing is a monster. Good luck to every one else in its path. Im 60 SE of dallas on cedar creek lake. Ive canceled my day at the range this weekend already.

We military at the hospital at Ft. Hood, in the middle of TX have been ordered to be at work Sat. at O-dark-thirty. We are bivouacing there through Monday anyway, as it is planned now. I'm taking everything to camp out. We had two hours to make contingency plans for beds and staffing, which went well. We are ready. The news is wrong calling them field hospitals. It was no fun telling the civilians they were essential personnel, but most accept it now. Right now only the military have to come camping. I had to make plans with and without them. We might turn into ER or just regular beds. I hope supply levels hold up. Our hospital has become surprisingly flexible. I figured staffing like war with 12 hr. shifts.

Fellows,

I have been advised that for the next 36-48 hours, my mobile may not be the place to seek shelter in so I'm clearing out temporarily. I am skeptical if I'll be wiped out entirely, but I'd hate for something major like a tree fall to strike the house and me be in it.

So I'm clearing out temporarily. I've got the guns, gun parts, clothes, cameras, computer, and all other personal items I've deemed essential packed and I'm moving up the road about a half mile to a friend's house.

Be lucky you guys aren't here; gas is scarce and everyone is anxious. I'd don't recommend or wish this on anyone.

To my fellow Texans, yall keep your heads down. I'll try and stop back by in a few days if I can, but that may be difficult if the lights are off.

This Roscoe, signing off.

Godspeed!

Jason

Jason,

Glad you made it safely. How much rain did you have? I bet it's greener than all getout there now.

Here, we have had record (105+) temps ever since Rita left the area. My cattle watering holes are drying up, my grazing grass is gone. Hell, I may as well had Rita rip my roof off too.

On the bright side, it's supposed to be no higher than 90 tomorrow. I doubt it, you can't trust the weather fundillos.

fritz

Fritz,

I believe we only caught 4"-8" of rain here. Everybody gives a different measurement. It was a bunch! But only lasted through Saturday night. Our burn ban is still on, so we couldn't of had too terribly much, right? That said however, the world has definitely greened up and you can almost watch the bahia grass growing.

And you're right, its damn hot here too. (Or was?) We've hit several record temps over the last week. Its supposed to change tonight though. Supposedly, we've got a "cold" front moving that's going to bring rain and cool everything to a chilly 80* on the high side and 60 on the low. I'll believe that when I see it. Them weather fellas ain't been the most reliable lot over the last couple weeks.

Hopefully things have cooled off and will get wetter. I'm personally ready for a cold winter that brings some rain. I just hope that we're able to get everyone back home before the deluge hits...

Jason