Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.280 Ai, What Action To Put It In?

brian923

hey guys, i was just wondering if theres an action out there thats better to build on than the other. i have come accross so much that i dont really know anymore. as it states in the topic, i am looking to build a 280 AI. do i NEED a large ring mauser action, or can this cartridge be built on a small ring action? thanks guys, brian.

also, wheres a good place to find them? dont have any gun shows, that i know of, around here any time soon.

well, i just dont know if i am ready to tear into that rifle. i have worked up a load that will put 3 180 Gr. Nosler BT's into 1" at 75 yards. that means that the ruifle could probably do alot better with a better shooter.

i do have a turk mauser that i had givin to my brother, but he dosnt really even want it. would this action work? i cant seem to come up with anything that states what the working pressures are for the turk mauser action. mine is chambered for the 8x57, so i know it has to be a little higher than 57, 000 psi. just for safty sakes. i know that the 280 Ai has a max pressure of 62,200, if you really pack it to the gills, but i dont think i will. but, i still want to keep it safe, incase i get rid of the rifle, and justr for my own sake.

thanks guys, brian.

brian923, the K.Kale Turk Mauser is something to consider. Large ring with small ring threads, they work fine for '06 based rounds. I have a few that I have built, with one in 270 Win that shoots well. I rethreaded a Remington barrel. They do sometimes require a little extra elbow grease to get a good metal finish.

If you yank the barrel, check the lug seats for lug set back before building. All of mine were fine, but it's possible to run into a bad one being a milsurp Mauser.

Here's a pic of my 270.

post-237-1246799580_thumb.jpg