Military Firearm Restoration Corner

98 Mauser?

howdydoit

I just got my hands on a BZN 8mm rifle from 1942. Im wanting to sporterize it, and need to know can it hold the pressure of handloaded 30/06? Im talking about 208gr amaxes going about 2800 fps.

Will she hold up. Everything looks good on the action, and there is no set back at all. I think its a good candidate but need to know if the action can handle what i want to do?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/how...it/DSCF0113.jpg

Thanks guys

Howdy

Agreed.

If it is an all matching serial numbers gun in original stock and it is in good shape it is probably worth a small mint to a collector. If it is not import marked and you have bona fide GI capture papers it could be worth even more. If not, like previously stated, go for it. Enjoy. Careful it is an addicting hobby as I am finding out. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

You can build what you want on that action.

Frickin' lawyer disclaimer: but keep in mind that pressures are relative and it may be safe to shoot a 200 gr bullet at 2800 fps in one K98, and have problems with (blow-up) another with the same load - due to chamber/headspace/barrel differences.

Or from another (non-gun related) relative perspective, it may be safe to push a 200 gr bullet 2800 fps out of a Mauser with IMR4350, and blow it up trying to reach the same velocity with Unique.

Hopefully, all of this is already obvious to everyone.

Unless you have a very long barrel, I have a hard time seeing a 200 gr bullet going that fast out of a 30-06. You may hear pieces of your action flying by your head if you push it that much. YMMV.

Brenden

howdydoit, IMO, you'll be better off picking a 300 Win Mag or 308 Norma Mag to achieve that desired velocity with that weight bullet.

You would be lucky to get 2700fps with a 200gr bullet, using a 30-06 at peak pressures.

You'll be a lot of money ahead if you leave the Mauser stock and buy a Marlin or Stevens in 300 Win Mag to play with.

Spiris

howdydoit, IMO, you'll be better off picking a 300 Win Mag or 308 Norma Mag to achieve that desired velocity with that weight bullet.

You would be lucky to get 2700fps with a 200gr bullet, using a 30-06 at peak pressures.

You'll be a lot of money ahead if you leave the Mauser stock and buy a Marlin or Stevens in 300 Win Mag to play with.

Spiris

I agree with Spiris.

A 200 grn 30 cal bullet at 2800fps is asking too much from an 06 case.