Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What is your favorite mosin?

RGRWJB

I have really grown attached to my M38. It's light and easy-handling but packs a wallop. I thought it was inaccurate until I started handloading with .312 bullets. Now its among my most accurate milsurps. Definitely a good gun to have in the trunk with a full magazine (smile.gif its good to not live in California any more - now I can legally keep and bear arms, come to think of it I pretty much did the same thing when I did live there and didn't think anything of it but this has been 25 yrs ago now).

I got the M38 from Century and I think I paid $85 for it. It was arsenal refinished and the metal looks good. It's nicely blacked. The barrel is counterbored which I suspect is a good thing accuracy wise but sure makes for a short barrel. It'll still spit 150 gr bullets at 2650 fps which is flatter than required given the open sights. The sights aren't terrible either. I like the post within the circular guard - it makes for a good sight picture. I've gotten used to the trigger. It isn't good but beats some of my other rifles. It is what it is. The stock is in good shape but the finish is weak and chipping in places. It seems to have been crudely stained and finished with something too hard - shellac. I don't think I'll ever get around to refinishing it, but it performs well enough to deserve the attention.

I too like my M38, probably more than my other M-Ns...and I have the 91/30, M44s, M39, as well as the M38.

Though, I do enjoy my Russian M44 too, with the whole bayonet extension thing while shooting, I tend to like the ease of the M38's no-hassle approach.

I guess I like the carbines in general.

My Finnish M39 is really painful for me to shoot, while the others aren't.

The 91/30 just lacks something for me...it's not the gun's fault...I just don't get into shooting it...but I am sure that I will warm up to it at some point.

One of my friends likes to shoot my Romanian M44, and she's GOOD with it...and can routinely hit a steel plate at 500 yards, offhand with iron sights! She's better with my M-Ns than I am, but I will perservere!

smile.gif

Guest sailorjim

In order I like my

91/30 best

m39 almost as much

1891 finn My first MN

m44s(3) a few notches down (punishers to the shoulder these are)

m38 (ditto but slightly moreso)

they are all great fun but my shoulder really feels the carbines.

Next time I gott get some k-31 schidt rubins to try

My only gripe with any of the mosins I've touched is the length of pull is too short me.

That said, I love my 91/30. Its a 1938 model that's been arsenal refurbished. I bought it at a gunshow in Lufkin for a hundred dollar bill and when properly handloaded, its the most accurate milsurp I own.

Only my SMLE can approach its level of accuracy. None of the milsurp Mausers hold a candle to my 91/30.

Jason

• 6 months later...

It is hard to pick a favorite mosin but I am partial to the carbine sized m38 and m44. My super accurate m39 is a safe queen and rarely comes out. The same goes for my ex sniper 91/30. The m38s and m44s see more range time. I have an m44 that has taken more game than my rem.700 and ruger77 combined. Based on usage the carbines win hands down.

• 2 months later...

I am considering a purchase of a Mosin. I know very little about them so I have some questions. Because of my eyes a scope will be a must and hence a different stock with a higher comb. I know about the bolt

issue and will follow Steve Wagners tutorial on that part. Do any of the cheaper Mosins have better cosmetics and metal finish than the others? Other than barrel length, are any of the Mosins better suited to

a sporterizing re-work of this type than others? I will shorten the barrel to 23" or less. I am thinking of a cheap deer rifle that I don't have to worry about getting banged up a little. I understand that these guns can be good, cheap shooters but in my opinion, the ones I have seen are cosmetically ugly as sin. I have to do at least a little for the aesthetics.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

38scarabkv,

Man those are nice. esp. the m44, i love the looks of it. I've got a m44, the only one i own so i have to say its my favorite. Good shooter, light, hell of a brush beater. What all did you do to your m44, would like to build one up like that.

brenden

thanks guys. on the m44 I did cut the bolt handle off and move it back into a slot I cut. cut the stock down and used it as a chasis and built around it with plywood and 3 ceiling fan blades I had but 1/4 inch plywould would work better, then painted the stock with primer, plasti kote fleck stone and then OD krylon. I did a mauser with Kylon stone and OD Krylon but it don't stick as good.

russian2.jpg

magot1.jpg

100_2897.jpg

100_2913.jpg

the rear bridge on the receiver was some thick pipe I cut, spread apart and welded to the receiver then drilled and tapped. The front base is a rear weaver for a 98 mauser and the rear base is a front base for a 98 mauser shortened and removed some metal from the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! That is sweet. How does it shoot? ANy signs of the scope base shifting or any major type of alignment issues?

Sweet project... I think I found my next project.

took the m44 and a few other guns to the range, and left my 7.62x54r ammo at home, only had 4 rounds of soft point in my bag but got it sighted in, the last round being a dead bullseye, it should group pretty good, the other shots corresponded to scope adjustment to a T, put good ammo in them and they will perform, don't even bother with the cheap military stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

My favorite is my un-issued Polish M44 dated 1952. After doing a bit of work on the trigger it has a very light smooth pull and now a match 11 Degree crown. I love the plum colored barrel bands, a Polish signature if you will.

Polish-m44.jpg