Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope Mounting Question And/or Debate

8uck5nort

Ok. Here goes...

I have been trying to come up with a base and scope combo to scope a carcano for plinking and maybe hunting yotes using the 6.5mm carcano cartridge.

The action has a rear split ring and utilized a stripper clip. I really don't want to go with a side mount scope just yet.

I toyed with a weaver style base and, utilizing the rear site base/pedestal on a Terni rifle, affixed the base to the site base instead of the action itself. I have a LER 2x7 scope affixed and may have something that will work. I have yet to take it to the range.

However, upon doing more research (I am still very much a newbie to this stuff) scope mounting and selection seems to be an art as much a science.

One thing concerns me about my current mounting idea and I honestly don't know if there is much to it. Upon firing the barrel it vibrates as the bullet travels down the length of the barrel in addtion to the other movement of the recoil. This would seem to me to cause an excessive amount of movement that could possibly cause alignement issues after several shots. Has anyone ever heard of scopes being mounted in/or on a barrel mounted site pedestal? Am I over thinking this one? I have read that exscessive vibration or even the wrong kind of vibration can ruin scopes. Example, putting a rifle scope on an air rifle will ruin it, etc...

I am currently trying to build my own weaver style scope base that would mount to the front of the action, more like a mauser, but be cantilevered out over the barrel or affixed to a pedestal that is affixed/pinned to the barrel. I am not ruling out using a single shot setup and ditch the stripper clip or using a shotgun or fixed mag scope that has LER.

I am just now diving into parallax, mag, light gathering, etc.. So I am still trying to get all the jargon straight. Any way what do you guys think? Any hard and fast rules when picking scopes and mounts for a rifle of a particular caliber/situation?

The mount type you are describing is called a "Scout Mount" which uses a LER scope mounted on original mil-surp sight base. Been around a long time. The late Col. Cooper was a big advocate for them. There are many different makers out there for the more common mil-surps but I doubt any are made for sale for a Carcano.

GO FOR IT. ;)

The scope base and scope actually came from a site mount kit for a mauser. I used it briefly on my spanish mauser and it never really shot well. Howerver, I believe the barrel was toast. In fact I just pulled my first barrel off last night from that very same rifle. I am going to rebarrel in 7mm mauser it was in 8mm.

I have been hacking and filing on it to try and get it to work/look right, but not sure if this is ultimately a dead end or should I keep looking for a reciever mount/scop that will work. I really will not know until I get to the range and see what happens.

I too am tinkering with a split receiver (swede mauser that was chopped when imported in the 60's) you might take a look at these two places. http://www.gunaccessories.com/ExpressSights/scout.asp http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html#

That sounds like an interesting project, any photos?

Unfortunately working on those. I have ordered an unfinished Boyds cut for the military barrel. Thought there is no practical way to restore but I thought with a little care and effort it will pass its' 100th birthday shooing and looking good. I plan to have my photo deficiency fixed before I start work.