Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Use A Strap Wrench To Aid In Barrel Removal?

8uck5nort

I am scratching my head hear. I have traxhed three oak bushing trying to get this barrel off. I am getting the vice so tight is fracturing the bushing when compressed along the horizontal grain... This thing will not budge and I soaked it for three weeks in WD40. I am applying sore penetrating oil daily and tapping the action on the bottom metal lightly with hammer to aid in penetration and hopefully loosen. Been at it for about a week now.

I also thougt about ordering some aluminum stock and manufacuring my own bushing, but out of aluminum. Seems like I destroy the oak and they are not cheap, but far less expensive than a 100 dollar piece of aluminum block.

I have another idea of using a strap wrench in conjunction with my action wrench and barrel vice to see if that might give the grip and opposing rotational froce to keep it from slipping in the barrel vice. Granted I will have to ask one of my sons to help by manning either the action wrench or strap wrench. I am just not sure if the strap wrench will ratchet down to the diameter and reall actually help in this case. Never used a strap wrench before except to get out oil filters.

Thoughts please and it is greatly appreciated.

Darin

I am scratching my head hear. I have traxhed three oak bushing trying to get this barrel off. I am getting the vice so tight is fracturing the bushing when compressed along the horizontal grain... This thing will not budge and I soaked it for three weeks in WD40. I am applying sore penetrating oil daily and tapping the action on the bottom metal lightly with hammer to aid in penetration and hopefully loosen. Been at it for about a week now.

I also thougt about ordering some aluminum stock and manufacuring my own bushing, but out of aluminum. Seems like I destroy the oak and they are not cheap, but far less expensive than a 100 dollar piece of aluminum block.

I have another idea of using a strap wrench in conjunction with my action wrench and barrel vice to see if that might give the grip and opposing rotational froce to keep it from slipping in the barrel vice. Granted I will have to ask one of my sons to help by manning either the action wrench or strap wrench. I am just not sure if the strap wrench will ratchet down to the diameter and reall actually help in this case. Never used a strap wrench before except to get out oil filters.

Thoughts please and it is greatly appreciated.

Darin

If the barrel is not going to be reused, try using a large pipe wrench and a cheater bar. I also cut some relief cuts into the barrel shoulder near the receiver and applied Kroil. It finally broke free with quite a bit of effort.

Guest Vladymere

Rather than WD40 you should use a penetrating oil, I suggest Kroil. Rather than the oak blocks make an aluminum bushing and a steel block to place the bushing in. With the steel block you can make a variety of different bushings for different barrel profiles.

Vlad

i use aluminum bushing under a hydraulic jack

I bought my Dad an action wrench and barrel vice for his birthday several years ago and I drop mine off with him. :D

However, he is a retired tool and die maker with 40+ years in the trade and can figure out about anything.

He still amazes me with the solutions he comes up with even as long as I have known him.

A great big pipe wrench was his solution and it wroks admirably. He uses PB Blaster for any "sticky situation" but I use Kroil.

I met a guy a few weeks ago that casts lead bushings. It would be a perfect fit every time if you can

figure out how to do that.

Here is my tip on loosening tight barrels. I put the 3' cheater on my barrel vice and lean on it as much

as I can with one hand and with the other I whack the cheater between me and the barrel with a 3# hammer

as hard as I can. The shock wave on top of the applied torque usually cracks them open.

Best of luck B)

Tinker

Same here - pipe wrench to remove military or junk barrels. I use a similar setup as Don showed but then put the pipe wrench on the barrel with the handle underneath the vise so it won't turn as I turn the action wrench. A blow with a heavy hammer helps a lot.