911rat

I finally finished my first build. A VZ24 in .35 Whelen

Boyd's JRS stock pepper laminate

Sunny Hill bolt shroud

Timney trigger with safety

Burris rings and bases

Leupold VariX II 3-9

ER Shaw barrel at 23"

Bedded with Bedrock including the barrel channel (barrel is free floated)

I took it to the range today to zero it. Remington factory loads shot about 2 moa or less. I think the handloads I tested would have done much better but I only shot those at 50. For some reason I seemed to reach peak pressure rather quickly. I may try seating the bullet out a bit. But perhaps the barrel was warm and just needs to be broken in. Unfortunately I forgot my rest and sandbags and had to use the ones at the range. And.. since the %$@# battery was dead in my chronograph I have no idea what the velocity was. There were no flyers or stringing. In case anyone's inerested in what I'm loading, I'm using the Nosler 225 gr part, Reloader 15, Remington brass, and Federal 210M primers.

I just wanted to thank all the posters here for their advice and tips. I'd like to post the names of all those that were helpfull but there are so many and I wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

user posted image

Good looking rifle, have'nt never shot a 35 how's the kick

5055[/snapback]

TONEY,

I think it's kinda similar to the "the 270 has light recoil" statement. I always think of recoil as subjective. my 270 kicks less than a 30-06 but I almost have to shoot both to feel it. The best way can describe it is noticebly more than I remember a 30-06 but not severe.