Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lr Mauser Barrel Die

brokengun

Mauser LR barrel die

I have needed a Large Ring Mauser barrel die to clean up the threads on a Mauser barrel. I was going to buy one from Midway USA but they NO longer carry or offer a die. What they had was a hex shaped carbon die that sold in $30 range.

I decide to look and see what Brownells has to offer and Holly cow they want $189 for a HSS 1.10-12 die

Where can I buy a die for a large ring Mauser that’s reasonable?

Hell I would think for $189 I could have someone like Regal make a die.

I often search for deals on tools on EBay and have seen 1&1/8X12tpi split dies around $35 a number of times. They aren't there all the time but if you can be patient.

The other thing would be to do a Google search and find them. I found 1/4X22 taps that weren't from Brownell.

If you don't have a split die holder to compress the die from 1&1/8 down to 1.1, it's going to be really hard to find a re-thread hex die in 1.1. If you think that you'll do this more than once, it might be worth while to buy the die holder too.

I've used the split dies when the barrel shank is a hair too big.

Another idea would be to have someone with a lathe chase the threads. When I was getting started,I found a local machine shop that re-threaded a Remington barrel to Mauser small shank

.98X12 for just $20. Maybe you could go to your local machine shop with your barrel and receiver and when it screws on you are done.

I hope one of these ideas is helpful

T ;)

I often search for deals on tools on EBay and have seen 1&1/8X12tpi split dies around $35 a number of times. They aren't there all the time but if you can be patient.

The other thing would be to do a Google search and find them. I found 1/4X22 taps that weren't from Brownell.

If you don't have a split die holder to compress the die from 1&1/8 down to 1.1, it's going to be really hard to find a re-thread hex die in 1.1. If you think that you'll do this more than once, it might be worth while to buy the die holder too.

I've used the split dies when the barrel shank is a hair too big.

Another idea would be to have someone with a lathe chase the threads. When I was getting started,I found a local machine shop that re-threaded a Remington barrel to Mauser small shank

.98X12 for just $20. Maybe you could go to your local machine shop with your barrel and receiver and when it screws on you are done.

I hope one of these ideas is helpful

T ;)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dies/=bryaba

These guys have metric

Wiley

• 3 months later...

You might want to give these people a call and see if they can give you a decent price for a Die. Remember too that the Mauser threads are 55* threads, not 60* as are currently used. 60* will work, but the 55* is proper and gives a tighter fit.

Julie Nelson

Tapco USA, Inc.

Ph: 800-827-7787

I have sent an email to the custom die company that I gave the phone number for asking for a price. I have also ask if there might be a price break for a group buy. I should have answer in a day or two.

Updated:

The following is our quotation:

Our P/N 31961A

1.100-12 HS Whitworth 55* Hex Die

1 piece =$172.20 each

2 pieces=$137.20 each

3-5 pieces=$106.40 each

6-11 pieces =$81.20 each

12 pieces and up=$74.20 each

Delivery: 14-16 work days to manufacture

Our P/N 31962A

1.100-12 HS Whitworth 55* 2 1/2" OD Round Die

1 piece =$242.20 each

2 pieces=$200.20 each

3-5 pieces=$159.60 each

6-11 pieces =$123.20 each

12 pieces and up=$113.40 each

Delivery: 14-16 work days to manufacture

These prices are good for 30 days. If we can get a group buy going, we can save a bunch of money if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Dale,

Put me down for a set if we can get 12 or more.

BG, My Brownells price is $94.11 for the tap and $105.12 for the die. Looks like we are better off going Tapco for the tap and Brownells for the die.

I've wanted them for a long time too, but couldn't figure how the investment would be justified. It would make me the only kid on the block with a set, though.

Brad

I was in the current catalog, so I guess they had a big price jump since it was published last month. Oh well.

Good thing we are having this spectacular Summer of Recovery (third one, I think) and no inflation, otherwise no telling what they would cost.

I guess twelve of us could share one.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You really don't normally need a die to repair damaged threads on your barrel, a simple thread file will usually clean up enough to create a good fit.

Here's a link to a decent file. They are handy to have.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NICHOLSON-Thread-Restoring-File-3MD29?cm_mmc=CSE:Nextag-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Files-_-3MD29&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=27-70065157-2

Spiris

• 2 weeks later...