Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Headspace problems

Eldora

Thanks for the compliments! biggrin.gif I had E.R. Shaw put on the bolt handle, d/t, barrel and blue. They left the corner of the bolt too square to clear a scope so I re-contoured it. I also did the bolt jeweling with a homemade jig I found on Steve Wagner's site (did the magazine follower too). The stock is from Richard's Microfit and is my handiwork, also. It's glass bedded 2" past the receiver and pillar bedded. The checkering is my first attempt but it looks pretty good. I've re-cut several projects but never did one from scratch. Scope is a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3200 3x9x40. The bottom metal is a Santa Barbara and is the one thing I'm not satisfied with. Originally, I had planned to use an aluminum one from Brownell's. After sending it off to Shaw I changed my mind and then had to blue the floorplate/triggerguard myself. My Dad used to run a small gun shop years ago so he has a few tools that I've borrowed. He and I are going to refinish the bottom after hunting season. He still has his bluing set-up although it hasn't been used in quite some time. I have a customer who runs a chemical company so we got the salts from him. The trigger is a Timney Deluxe w/safety. BTW, I shot it several times yesterday with new brass and everything appears OK. I even cut one of the fired brass to inspect it inside. No signs of stress so, apparently my problem was a mis-adjusted resizing die. Now...for that big old buck in a couple of weeks! laugh.gif