Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser trigger gaurd

Several months ago someone posted a picture of a customized 98 trigger gaurd that a gunsmith had completed. The jist of the post was to see if anyone was interested in having their trigger gaurd customized. If anyone remembers the post, or has any information on contacting the gunsmith who operformed this work, could you please respond with more information on how I might contact them. Thanks

I think you may be confusing two seperate posts perhaps. Then again I could be totally off base and missed something.

I posted athread about the floorplates that had had a button added. I received mine but haven't yet taken & posted pics. The piece is fantastic! Way easier to use than those skinny Brownells detents/releases. I'll try to post some pics in the next day or two of the actual product.

here were the pics I posted then:

user posted image

user posted image

Note that this only includes the floorplate, no triggerguard mods are needed nor included. The narrowing of the bow was seperate.

If anyone is interested speak up and I'll forward on the interest.

Maybe you were confusing that with these pics I posted of a straddle floorplate? user posted image

user posted image

A while ago there was a post that askes if anyone was interrested in "slicked up triggerguards", the post was on the old forum, long gone. But the guy from Sporter Express made a few posts about it, I think he got one. You might try emailing him if that's the post you were thinking of.

Don

Z1r,

I'm interrested in more info on those release buttons, I've tried the FN style, but the button is too small. Can't work it with gloves on.

Z, I developed mixed feelings about the extended magazine floorplate release buttons. On more than one occasion I've accidentally popped the thing open by inadvertantly allowing the rifle to rest on the button against the shooting bench, and, once while carrying the rifle thru the woods while grasping it around the action, very embarassing and frustrating. I also got over the beautiful German magazine lever arms, even with ball detents to hold them in place they constantly get snagged and drop open at the worst times, especially when hand carrying the rifle.

As to bolt shroud low scope safetys, I liked the FN best until I found the Lee Mk II which allows operating the bolt with the safety on and doesn't have the sharp edges of the FN low scope safety. In fact, to retain the lefty nature of my FN safties, I ground off the portion of the shaft tip which locks the bolt shroud when cocked and radiused the sharp edges - desecration I'm sure but it does the job and not my thumb.

Wish I had known you were looking for an FN LR commercial 8mm, I have one imported to Sweden with a 2 leaf standing rear sight and ramp front, heavy 26 inch barrel for Swedish stocking. Not drilled or tapped, excellent bore. Almost got a SARCO SR98 until I read on the Husqvaran web site that these proved to be less strong than desired and they went to the large ring models from FN until they could retool for the their own production. One I'm getting rid of due to my ratty health. Bill

In the past I have used a button similar to the one z1r posted (although not nearly as pretty) on several rifles. Made mine from a 1/4" carriage bolt. Grind the shoulder (the square part under the head) to the same diameter as the bolt shank. I also reduced the diameter of the head by about one-fourth and rounded it up to a pleasant contour. The square lug on the inside of the floor plate is then cross drilled for a pin. The "button" is inserted through the hole in the floor plate (where you'd normally insert a bullet, etc. to activate the catch) and drill the shank of the button to match the pin hole. This gives the upper limit of the hole. Remove the new button and lengthen the hole by drilling another hole right beside it. Re-insert the button and pin it in place. Depress it all the way and mark it at the surface of the floor plate lug. Cut the button/bolt shank off at this point. It's a good idea to leave it slightly long and finish fitting with files, file/fit, file/fit, etc., etc., etc. The original catch pin and spring are retained. In use the issued catch presses out on the button enough to allow it to catch. The button simply depresses the catch to be even with the surface of the lug - thus releasing the floor plate to be removed as usual. The button doesn't have to have much travel. The original catch doesn't project all that much!

This is an easy mod. It does have the problem of being in the way if you carry at the floor plate though as Bill pointed out. I to gave up on those "pretty" German style lever catches for the same reason. Spent hours making and fitting that thing only to hate it once I started USING the rifle... I think its still in a drawer someplace. I prefer the hinged floor plate and Mod.70 style catch but this is a much more difficult modification than the button described above.

Z will answer, but it's Jim Wisner that has them. They're not on his sight but call or email him. The number is 1909FP. They're about $70 with latch. They're also oversized so they require some fitting, only takes about a hour with a good file.

Don

Z will answer,  but it's Jim Wisner that has them.  They're not on his sight but call or email him.  The number is 1909FP. They're about $70 with latch.  They're also oversized so they require some fitting, only takes about a hour with a good file.

Don

5841[/snapback]

Dang,

I never thought to ask Jim about the latches. I just made my own. The floorplate is indeed Jims. He tends to make them in batches so if he doesn't have them on hand it could be a while. Well worth it though for dressing up an argie guard. Like Don said, you need to fit them but this eliminates any and all play, if you fit them right, that can be found in the commercial or replacement models.