Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need opinions on a project

youngtrout

Hello, I've been going back and forth on this, just can't make a decision.

The rifle in question is a mark X rifle that was given to me by my grandfather, this rifle was my introduction to mausers, remind me to thank him for that.

The original rifle was a .243, the first thing I did was give it a new stock, a fancy AA second from richards.

I have recently sold the barrel (243 is a great caliber but it really fits a narrow niche, one that i have no use for) My grandfather is all for it, he just wants to see what I make of it.

The caliber of choice is the old 7x57, I ordered a shaw barrel that should be here by christmas.

My question is this, the action has a perfect bluing job, but I have a draw towards the matte finishes, the barrel will arrive polished but not blued.

My first notion would be to put a nice rust blue on the action and barrel, but I feel bad about messing up a good blue job. (also I still need to learn to rust blue)

What does everybody think about leaving the original blue on the action and matte bluing the barrel?

Has anyone seen this??? the scope is a compact burris that is matte black.

Hopefully this rifle will go to alaska in sept 06, sheep hunting with my brother in law (depending on the draw) so I really want to make it right.

thanks for any imput, I just want some opinions of "what you would do"

Of course this is just my .02 worth. wink.gif If it were mine and I 'm going to all this (pleasant) trouble to re-barrel, re-stock, etc., Iwould definitely matte blue the entire rifle. There is something in that soft glow that appeals to me and says "class". smile.gif BTW, I have rifles with each type of finish. As for rust bluing, I'm going to try it after deer season on a floorplate/triggerguard. I'm not satisfied with it's finish and want to learn before beginning my next project rifle. Good Luck!

Just a thought on your project, I like the idea of going 7x57 but if you hand load you might consider cutting it to 7x57 AI. This would allow you to gain greater performance out of this case and retain the flexibility to shoot factory ammo if you so choose. It may be just the ticket for sheep. Good luck

The blues should match, it will give the rifle a custom look rather than a cobbled together look. That said, I have seen a few instances where a combination of matte/gloss was used to good effect.

One thing to note, is that the magazine will have to have the block at the rear removed in order to fit the 7x57. Once you remove the block, you can rechamber in and .30-06 class cartridge you want.

As for removing the "perfect bluing job". Look again, you will find that while the blue shines nicely, the surface if wavey. these actions usually had the hell polished out of them. A new matte finish will give to the opportunity to "straighten" out the surface. Well worth the effort.

Make grandpa proud.

Why go the way of the 7x57AI when a .280 Rem is already there? Need more speed, then go .280AI.

When you do the math, realistically without increasing pressures you are usually looking at no more than a 50 fps gain with the AI.

7x57 AI reamer

If you do go the 7x57 AI route be sure whoever barrels & chambers it does it correctly so you can still use 7x57 factory loads. You don't need a 7x57 AI gage to properly chamber the barrel. You can do it using the 7x57 gage. The fact that Shaw doesn't know this would worry me.

z1r, you bring up great points.

I am struggling making a decision because this rifle does mean a lot to me. Even though my grandfather gave me the rifle and told me to make something of it, It will be in his hands next fall and for that matter as long as he wants it.

I love my personal .270, it's a great rifle, and caliber.

The problem, if you can call it one, is to find a caliber that fits the same niche but different. (remember,,, varity?)

I have already ordered a 7x57 barrel from er shaw, I kind of put them on hold a sec playing with this 7x57 ai idea. Only reason I entertained it was trying to get a touch more velocity out of it, but really loose the historic value of the caliber.

Now I guess I'm just typing in my head.

I will entertain any and all thoughts on the project!

just need to make the call soon!, don't think I can stall them forever at shaw.

thanks again!!

I put colt blue on barrels, using the lathe.

I spin them and rub the Di-Chem cold blue on.

I degrease them

I spin them and rub Oxpho cold blue on.

I conver with oil and wait overnight.

The Dicropan is darker, the Oxpho Blue is more durable.

Each steel seems to be different, but some steel loves to get a Dicropan

and then Oxpho later applied with a Scotch Brite pad.

This gets the dark in the crevices and the durable on the peaks of the

micro scratches.

With each steel, I try some combinations until I start getting good

results with the cold blue process. Sometimes great results, sometimes

kinda ugly.

I have already ordered a 7x57 barrel from er shaw, I kind of put them on hold a sec playing with this 7x57 ai idea.  Only reason I entertained it was trying to get a touch more velocity out of it, but really loose the historic value of the caliber.

7354[/snapback]

Stick with your original instinct and make a 7x57. It has plenty of OOPH when correctly loaded, and the Hornady Light Magnum is a useful load right out of the box. An Ackley Improved rifle is a to sell. Nobody wants to buy a wildcat, regardless of how useful it is.

Good luck on your project!

Clemson

If the mag well is .30-06 length, as Z1R pointed out, I'm inclined to agree that the .280 Rem would be a great choice. It's a fast, flat shooting round thats readily available. For that matter, your favorite(.270 Win) has the same attributes and is even more available due to its popularity.

I have been pouring over the loadbooks.

From lyman my 243 round has a cup of 58000

they list the 139 grain bullet at 2700 and change with a cup of 43,000

I know the rifle is safe for higer pressures, where are good resources for higher pressure 7x57 rounds.

It is not a compacted round, but along those same lines with the AI's more case capacity would this be a better choice.

just trying to make heads or tails of this, thanks

http://www.accuratepowder.com/loaddata_cal...dard_284cal.htm

these are a little on the light side. You can bump these loads a bit. I think Norma or Nosler may have some loads that are higher. Check the various powder mfg's websites. Call sierra, they freely dispense load data.

If you are concerned about getting the last fps out of a round then go for the .280 or .280 AI or better yet, the 7mm rem Mag.

If you want a world class cartridge that will kill anything that walks the planet, it is hard to improve on the 7x57 an dit is pleasnat to shoot. Remember all those elephants Bell killed with it.

I've had good luck hunting with the 7x57, shooting two very large wild boar with excellent results. You mentioned your grandfather will be using this rifle, recoil on 7x57 is mild, non-intimidating. I think he will enjoy shooting this caliber. My tuppence.

Kevin in Or.

As always great information.

I do like the 7x57, don't get me wrong, just trying to get a feel for other options.

I guess I really hope this rifle will take a dall sheep one day, my brother and law lives in Anchorage and agreed to take me out if I get lucky in the draw.

So in the back of my mind I was thinking of the light rifle (for mausers) and setteled on super trimmed walnut stock and the 7x57.

I first choose it because of alot reading, O'conner mainly yes he was mainly a .270 fan but shot them some, and it was his wife favorite.

So I think I will stick with my gut and stick with the 7x57

That all being said the numbers with the 280 ai are impressive, but maybe might be best saved for another project!

Thanks again

Sincerely Dave

The 7x57 is a great cartridge, as is the .270, and .280. Any game animal you shoot with either would never know the difference. You build what you heart says to. It will hopefully accompany you on many wonderful adventures. I just got me a .270 and will try it out this weekend. Can't wait.

I think I will build me a .280 now. All this talk has gotten me to thinking and that's dangerous. I was just about to order a 7x57 barrel. Kinda wanted to build a light weight version but now I'm wondering about the .280, lol. In the end, I'll probably go with the 7x57 just so I don't have to buy new brass & dies. But then again, a light weight .280 would be trick too. rolleyes.gif