Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tool Post Grinder

donmarkey

OK, this is crude but it works good and it is fast to make. Before I retired I occasionally needed one at work but I knew that the company would never purchase one for me. So, after I thought about it some I simply bent a piece of bar stock say 1/2 x 1" x 8" into an "L" shape. You then put one end of the "L" in the tool holder and then the other leg of the "L" will be running paralell with the bed and you use two hose clamps to clamp an air grinder to it. By loosening the clamps you can move the grinder up and down some and it works surprisingly well. Just keep the bearings adjusted on the grinder and dress the stone carefully and it works good. Some stones and even thick cutoff wheels work better than others. Like I said it's crude but it works. A grinder doesn't put much force on the work like a tool bit so the hose clamps do OK. You can always make something more substantial later if you think you need it.