Military Firearm Restoration Corner

22/250 or 25/06??

AzRednek

Got a call from a relative that is getting into varmit hunting and can't decide on 22/250 or 25/06 for a heavy barrel varmit gun. He is getting a rifle as a combination high school graduation and birthday gift. I'm hoping any of you that have built either or both would like to share your experience.

Being that the lucky guy's dad will buy him either, which caliber would you choose and why?? He already has a Remington slide action in 30/06 for Deer, Elk and his new heavy barreled rifle wont be used for other than varmit hunting. I doubt if he will take any varmits larger than coyote.

I'm partial to the Remington 700 in 22/250 and told him if he couldn't decide to go in between and go with a 243. He laughed out loud but didn't answer when I asked if his ol'man would spring for a 240 Weatherby. Currently he doesn't reload. He is being encouraged to go 25/06 by his hunting buddy that has what I think is Winchester model 670, its been re-barreled with a heavy Douglas barrel in 25/06. His dilemma reminds me of a kid in the candy store with a pocket full of change.

I've got both and each has its place,he really wont go wrong with either one.But my opnion is after several 25-06s (25 caliber is my favorite) I'd go with the 22-250 for several reasons that big 25 is just a little to much gun for me to call it a varmit round,it will do it and do a super job of it dont get me wrong,but I've found them to be a bit finicky about what they like to shoot really well ie..varmit accurate and there isnt near the selection of factory ammo for the 25-06.I roll my own for all my long guns so its not a big thing.But 95% of the time the gun I keep in my truck here at the farm is a 22-250 ,a stainless Savage,sporter weight barrel ,syn.stock, its my go to gun.It likes what ever you want to feed it just pretty darn good from store bought to home brewed,41 gr. H380 behind a 40 gr.V-max is my favorite.I've killed just about everything you can kill in Mo. with that combo from deer(bullet placement a must) to crows and all have been spectacular kills.I here folks talk about the extra range of the 25-06 and yes it does have it ,IF your shot enough to use it.I'm not on varmit sized targets,I figure if I can hit a crow at 300 yds using my truck window or tree limb for a rest I've done about the best I can do.Jim

For a varmint gun I'd pick the .22-250

mostly because factory ammo is cheap especially compared to the .25-06. These days I like varmint rounds that I can buy cheap factory loads for. More shooting time, less bench time!

My own varmint rig is a Ruger 77 standard weight sporter in .223. Cheap Winchester white box ammo shoots 3/8" groups all day. The.22-250 ammo isn't much more.

Both are excellent varmit calibers. The deciding factor for me would be the area being hunted, and the distance that the majorityof his shots will be at. 22.250 works very good here in Illinois but, the 25.06 would have a definate advantage out west in places like Arizona or Wyoming where shots can stretch the limits on calibers. My $.02.