Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1917 Cock On Open

donmarkey

No first hand experience but I bet Ed would be able to help you. He's a first class guy. I know Burgess does them. I've just never enquired abut them.

By the way, package arrived safe & sound. Thanks!

No first hand experience but I bet Ed would be able to help you. He's a first class guy. I know Burgess does them. I've just never enquired abut them.

By the way, package arrived safe & sound. Thanks!

Ed's sending me a copy of the fitting instructions by mail. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. I know Jim Wisner did a article some time back on enfields, I'll have to ask him for a copy.

-Don

Shouldn't be much diffrent than the small ring mauser conversion. My first one took me about 2.5 hours, now after 4-5 more I've done I can do them in about an hour.

What did you have to do to the bolt's cocking notch? Is there any downfall to shortening the firing pin's travel?

-Don

What did you have to do to the bolt's cocking notch? Is there any downfall to shortening the firing pin's travel?

-Don

On the sr mauser you have to widen and lengthen the notch, Yes the firing pin still needs to travle the same as before or you will decreese the fireing pin protruthion, and may not fire. All the instructions come with the cock on open kit.

Yes. Don't do it.

GPC has a part which will allow to the convert to "Cock on opening" problem is there is not enough force left in the firing pin spring to guarantee firing.

Click...UH...bad.

Unless you have a "oldtime" smith who knows how to reshape the bolt..don't go there.

karl

The deal is, you shorten the drop so to compensate you have to use a stiffer spring. This makes for hard bolt lift and wears the new notch rather quickly. This at least on the COC mausers. The Enfield may be diffrent, I haven't studied up on it but it is routinely done on all the ones converted to big boomers and the Rem 30 which was nothing more than a P-17 was COO. I think the key is in how you well do it and possibly who's methods/kit you use.

I've heard that about the gpc kits. Ed's safety reduces pin travel to .200" and uses a 24lb spring. You have to alter the cocking cam but no welding is required. It comes with a new cocking piece. I've heard nothing but good things about his products, so I think I'll try one. Of course the safety costs about twice what I paid for the original gun.

-Don