Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rethread Rem 700 Barrel ?

CTI

What would someone charge to rethread a used rem 700 barrel to fit Turk 38 with small ring threads? Its in 270 22"...Im weighing my options..Barrel has rough finish but should clean up with a good bead blast.

Thanks Todd

todd

just rethreading the barrel is one thing but to make it look right the barrel will need to be timed to the action to make the sights comeup right.."you may know this " what i"m getting at is whom ever does the threading will need the action to mate them together.

then chambered to head space correctly....

this timing thing does not bother some people but to me if your going to "do it " do it right...just stating all of this so all the people who may read this will know whats involved...i"ll ask around to see if i can find someone

I have an old lathe, I can time the barrel after its been rethreaded and can do the chamber also. I just cant do the threads ,wish I could opens up alot of possibilities..the sights are missing off the barrel removed by previous owner. Been trying to trade off a Yugo M48a for a small ring sporter barrel but having no luck on it right now.Thats the only thing I dont like about turk 38's..but its fun messing with them.

Ive built a few rifles and hacked some at one time...Im also gonna beadblast it myself so all Im needing is someone to rethread it to fit turk 38 .

Thanks for the reply

i realize im very much a newbie. i just recently found this site. amazing!! im building the exact same turk to .270. i have rethreaded my rem take-off to small ring. if i were to rethread you bbl for you, what would you take for the yugo? because im just abt done with this one, and ready to start collecting parts for the next one. im addicted to this stuff.

Well I just sold the Yugo this morning @ gunshow in town...I got my barrel back out and looked at today and its rougher than I thought , may not clean up to good.

May have to find another barrel or order one already from er shaw thats threaded for small ring threads. If I put this barrel on it will be no show piece but decent sporter. Welcome to the site great bunch of fella's here, and very helpful and Informative......Todd