Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Too Much Head Space

Guest Phil Schmidt

Guest Phil Schmidt

I have a turk mauser with the original barrel I need set back as it has too much head space. I guess I COULD try a bunch of different bolts IF I had access to some to try but I don't, sooooooo, who is the cheapest guy to send my gun to to have the barrel set back?

still think tring differant bolt might be your best bet..setting the barrel back would

cost almost what the turk will cost. do;nt know of anyone close to you...if you add cost of shipping you will have to much in the turk unless its a very special rifle.

Setting the barrel back the correct amount is easy. Re-orintatning the sights is not. How much excessive headspace do you have and what is it causing? riceone.

Re-orienting the sights is the easy part. They are only soft soldered on so you heat em and re-align them in minutes.

Like riceone askedd, how much excess do you have?

Friend of mine had a 98 he wanted the headspace shortened on and I did it for him. We used three factory cartridges as a gauge. When all three chambered with no drag we were home. I would not have gone to the trouble if it had been mine but then it wasn't. If you reload you can correct it without setting the barrel back. riceone.

Z1, I have moved a few sights and not been very successful in getting them back to shoot like before. Maybe someone can give me a solution. riceone.

Guest Guest
Setting the barrel back the correct amount is easy. Re-orintatning the sights is not. How much excessive headspace do you have and what is it causing? riceone.

2007[/snapback]

I don't have anything to measure the head space accuratly, but it's not much. There are no sights on the barrel, the reciever is scoped. Too bad this sort of thing can't be done by hand. Too many things in firearms require a lath to accomplish. B^(

I've been considering having a friend reload some of my once fired brass (I don't reload myself). What sucks is, he doesn't have the dies for 8mm so the cost of a new die set would be about what it costs to have the barrel set back, right?

If you do not have anything to measure head space with, why do you think something wrong? A little too much headspace is not something that will hurt you or your rifle. What are the signs you are reading to think you have excessive headspace. riceone.

What I've done in the past for setting back a barrel and having the sights line up again. First determine the number of threads per inch, then divide 1.000" by the number of threads per inch and remove that amount from the torque shoulder. This should set the barrel back one full turn, on a 98 style barrel you will have to remove stock from the secondary torque shoulder also. What you end up with then is a short chambered barrel, use a finish reamer to clean up the chamber to the proper headspace and you're back in business. That way you don't have to mess around with the sights. Hope this helps.

Rebel49

If you have too much headspace, just necksize the brass for that Turk, you'll essentially be creating a wildcat, but it'll be safe enough.

If you are going to go through the hassle of having the barrel set back, I'd rebarrel unless the barrel you have is a real shooter.

Jimro

Rebel49, has described the basics of timing sights. And this is how you'd setback a sporter already equiped with sights. Or, you use this approach to determine how much to remove from a shoulder to set the sights to TDC like for instance if you are fitting a Rem 700 barrel to a Turk receiver. However, you needn't remove a full turn or so in order to re-align mauser sights. Remove only as much material from the shoulder as you need to set the headspace to zero. Then use a propane torch to melt the soft solder holding the sight bands on and reset them to TDC. You will likely have to shorten the hanguard hold down screw (on v24's & such).