Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gasoline

roscoedoh

Well ladies and gents...

I just had a chat with my favorite neighbor energy broker this evening while tanking up. I was out on a grocery expedition after visiting an elderly friend and noticed cars lined up everywhere at gas stations. Taking that as a bad omen, I decided to investigate some petroleum myself and had to drive down to south Nacogdoches to find a gas station without a line. I went ahead and filled up the tank instead of my usual $10 and as I was paying, I asked the girl what's the deal with all the people buying gas? Her reply was that every station north of town is dry. The station I was at had a mere 2000 gallons left and although they would be shipping more fuel in tonight, the price was shooting up to $3.10 a gallon tomorrow (a $.56 increase). It seems Hurricane Katrina has caused a kink in fuel supply since Louisiana had to shut down a lot of refinery capacity. For everyone's sake, I hope they get the refineries open again soon. Gasoline prices are indicative of other forms of energy and frankly, I'm not ready for $3.00/gallon gas yet!

How are gas prices in your neck of the woods?

Let's all pray that our fellow Americans over in Louisiana ride this out ok.

Jason

$2.48, but I expect it to go up. I told the wife to fill up. Any excuse will do to jack up prices. The oil companies are slitting their own throats. People will buy more fuel economical vehicles and look for alternatives to gasoline, like hybrids.

The topic reminds me of a engineering presentation I attended where the speaker (a Phd from Michigan) had done through extensive data gathering and predictive modeling, predicted that world demand for oil would exceed world production at about 2010, give or take a couple of years. At that point in time, oil prices would soar because demand would never again be satisfied. The wildcard in his prediction was the rate of economic growth in in highly populated Asia, that could significantly influence the demand curve. Things like weather, occasional oil embargos, and brush wars were just bumps in the road. The speaker's main points in all this were: 1) This country needs a long term energy strategy, and 2) We gotta start moving to new technologies based on something other than the hydrocarbon-based cycle, be it hydrogen, nuclear, or whatever, and 3) Doing nothing is not an option.

That presentation was 4 years ago.

As for me personnally, I've gotten rid of my gas vehicles, and have gone to a turbo-diesel car and Jeep for transportation. Better milage, and I'm betting on bio-diesel as an option for the future. If oil stocks really go down the crapper, bicycles and public buses start becoming attractive. Who knows, the mo-peds might even come back.

Ah yeah, I remember that argument, the "Peak Production going into decline unable to meet growing demand". It is a valid argument, but one that does not address the fact that prices must become high to make it profitable to go to alternate technologies. As long as oil is cheap alternatives will not be explored. Since I don't see oil going any less than 35 bucks a barrel any time soon it looks like a safe bet that alternatives will show up on the market soon, driven by consumer request.

Jimro

Where I am in the high desert region of southern California, the gasoline prices at my local Chevron station are, in acsending order:

$2.85

$2.95

$3.05

At this point in my life, I am thankful that I don't commute to L. A. like so many other people who reside in this region...but I will be happiest when I no longer have to live in CA at all.

The gasoline prices some of you folks are speaking of sound totally cheap to me...how sad is that?

Guest MorgansBoss

Western Maryland - this is weird folks... Yesterday on my way home from work while Katrina was tearing up the gulf coast I figured the spike in gas price was inevitable to, so I stopped and filled up at $2.59/gal. Last night on my way back to work the same truck stop had revised their price - $2.55/gal.!!!!! Go figure.

I just filled up today, a Toyota 4 Runner, $40.00 -- and that was with a quarter tank left -- it will last me approximately 8 days.

The 4 Runner is paid off, so that's not a problem. Comparatively, I feel pretty fortunate...it could be a whole lot worse!

I have a big Ford Bronco that is awaiting a little restoration work...but that thing is such a gas guzzler, I will be waiting to get that project going for a while!

The cheapest gas in Victoria this morning was $2.69. Most were $2.99, and there were a few $3.05. The newspaper is obviously slower in getting printed than the gas stations putting up new prices, as the news this morning said gas may reach $3 by this weekend. Hell, it's only wednesday! But saturday it'll be $3.10.

We have to drive a lot more right now, what with having to go to the lab (a 50 mile trip) every morning. But mrz fritz has a 2004 Malibu that gets over 31 mpg. We traded last summer from a big Crown Vic to this one. I asked mrs fritz if the state was going to increase her mileage allowance, and she said that starting on the 1st she will get 40 cents a mile. The state always does things on the first of the month, especially september. There are a lot of state laws going into effect tomorrow, one is that everyone in Travis and Williamson counties (Austin area) will now have to pay $16 more to get an emmissions test on their vehicles at inspection time. Many will fail the test, and it will cost up to $500 to repair.

The state has already promised to help financially with those who cannot afford it. That will include almost every single Mexican in the area! I can see our taxes going up again!

One thing in the paper today mentioned that, in light of the gas price crises, the requirements for certain areas to have to sell special fuel may be eased.

They could ease up a lot of other assinine requirements also, if they are going to save the economy of this country. It's time to make a decision on what is more important--save our economy, or save the damned spotted owls!

fritz (on his knees)

One thing in the paper today mentioned that, in light of the gas price crises, the requirements for certain areas to have to sell special fuel may be eased.

They could ease up a lot of other assinine requirements also, if they are going to save the economy of this country. It's time to make a decision on what is more important--save our economy, or save the damned spotted owls!

fritz (on his knees)

I'm simply waiting for the mass realization that the American economy is under attack and has been for a few years now.

Jim

Well ladies and gentlemen,

We have offically cracked $3.00/gallon here in Nacogdoches. That's up $.11 cents today from yesterday. I shutter to think where this will go until prices start to drop again.

Damn.

Jason

Younger people might get to know what life was like during the 70's when you went hunting for gasoline.

Gee, they just HAVE to charge more because there might be a shortage. Who forced the prices to go up? No one! At least I have little required driving. Time to buy a horse and buckboard!

Guest MorgansBoss

02 Sept. 2005 Today's price is $3.35 in western Maryland. Makes me so sick to think of putting nearly ten bucks worth of gas in a 2 1/2 gal. can the grass ain't getting mowed this week end! blink.gif

Well, it's only $2.90 here, and it ain't stopping the recreation bound folks from heading to the coast with their big rigs/boat. Met a few on the way out of town today, heading to the coast for fishing and their usual dose of recreation.

Nothing has changed yet. Not for the well-off folks. Maybe the poorer folks, but since so many folks make such good wages, $2.90 gas will not stop them from wasting it. Maybe $4 gas, I don't know. First the mind-set of the American consumer has to change. Then, and only then, will there be a conservation of energy in this country.

Conservation--that's a word that is not in the dictionary of the folks that I see out there on the road every day. Maybe $4 gas will start the process, and $5 gas may just do the trick.

fritz

My wife and I made the choice between gas and food, we chose food. We bought just enogh gas to get us to the grocery store and home and the church and back. If we run low we will depend upon the kindness of others to get us to church. You would be surprised how little you can go when you don't have to. If this city didn't have an ordance against grazing animals, I would get a sheep to mow the lawn. Then this fall mutton chops!

Swamprat