Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt handles

Im looking for some after market bolt handles to go with a few "custom" mausers Im building. I dont want the plain jane looking bolt handles that just look like a bent mauser handle. Ive seen some of the Meier Works bolt handles in the midway catalog and I do like them, but was wondering if any of you had a link to some more choices. I know that on the .308 Im building for a buddy, I want a tactical looking handle. And on the other too Im just lookng for something "special" that I think would compliment the rifle. I appreciate any help in finding any.

I have made my own knife handle types for a couple of mine. I started with a piece of 5/8" round or square and headed and beat it into the shape I wanted and then filed and sanded. riceone.

Special = make it yourself.

Do you have access to a lathe? This a perfect job for a minilathe. I make my handles on a minilathe out of 3/4" low carbon round bar.

I usually drill out the handles to save weight. I'll be posting a close-up of recent work on my 8 mm Steyr AI soon. I'm rust bluing and filling the grain as I type. A very good thing about being in the South in the summer is being able to do two rust bluing passes per day - just by leaving the parts in the shed. I should have it together later this week.

I don't think my handles are particularly special, but they work and look like what I wanted them to. Riceone's forged butter knife handles sounds like a great approach too. I'm going to give that one a shot one of these weekends.

1) I have bent about thirty 98 Mauser bolts, and one 96.

2) I have had one Brownell's bought cast bolt TIG welded on a 98.

3) I have had one 98 and six 91/30 get an extension TIG welded on.

This has cost me $15 in the past, but now will cost me $40 in the future.

Because of me reading this forum, I got around to trying the TIG weld process for 98s.

I am now convinced that I like the longer bolt handles I can get from welding.

I could buy my own TIG welder for $2k, but I would need to do 40 bolts to break even, and I only need about 25 done in the near future. I could re do some old bent bolts to be longer.

I see your point on the tig costs. Not only is the machine expensive, but the argon or other shielding gas is not cheap either. And it has to be replenished ever now and then.

The welding rod is cheap, though. If I were not already an old weldor, I would also farm out my work. And to be truthful, I ain't as good at it as I used to be as a young man.

The eyes get weak over the years, even though there are magnifiers, etc. It just ain't the same as being young again!

fritz

I cut off the original on this one, shaped grinded and welded this one back on, basically out of scrap steel, its usable..or it was, I just cut it off goin to grind up some more in a few days

user posted image

my step dad has a mig welder, so I have access to it when ever I go visit

I could buy my own TIG welder for $2k, but I would need to do 40 bolts to break even, and I only need about 25 done in the near future. I could re do some old bent bolts to be longer.

But Clark, with all the welding up of receivers that you do you would recoup your costs even sooner than that. You can get a nice Miller rig for closer to $1500. Check craigslist and you might find em even cheaper. It is not water cooled but you don;t need one for welding on guns. this would be your perfect excuse to build that short action and/or long action.

Has anyone tried the Midway Tally style bolts? I'm thinking about ordering a couple, but never used them before.

Don't, they are skinny & ugly, and in my experience don't weld as nicely as the talley handles do. Get the real thing, they are worth the extra $2.

Like Rod says, each person has their own favorite. Some like the same handle only angled differently. But like rod, I believe welding on a new handle is the only way to go. I've seen too many get a forged handle only to regret it later. The difference in price is minimal.

I want a big long handle so my ham fist does not hit the scope, which I need, because of my Mr. Magoo eyes.

One of my Twedes has a forged handle that I regret. I'm still trying to figure-out a way to fix it. Cutting it off and welding on another would be easy, but I've already inlet the stock for the forged handle. Hmmm...... unsure.gif

Has anyone successfully welded a bolt handle extension?

Im building up 3 turks at the moment. I know that not everyone is crazy about turk actions, BUT they are cheap and I can use remington barrels and turn them myself. What are some of the "bad" characteristics of the turks though. Ive heard several times turks not being very popular, but I dont recall any specific reasons given. Im still fairly new at this and any info is as always...appreciated.

The Turks can be roughly finished - although I've seen some nice ones. They also seem to have been heavily used. Some that I have are really worn. I don't know anything about the quality of steel other than that I haven't had any problems...yet.

I think Turks are great Bubba fodder.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got stuck looking at that picture for 10 minutes.

I don't know WHAT to think!

Jason, First off let me say that the bolt handle is certainly different, but then you stated you wanted something different to begin with. While it is not personally where I would have gone, I see nothing wrong with what you have done here. The stock and rifle look good as well, and the bolt gives it a definate style of it's own. Don't let others statements get the best of you. It is your rifle to do with as you see fit. Enjoy it as you should. I noticed the guy with the puke filled keyboard did not sign in either. Dave

well I will say the picture doesnt do it justice, it actually looks pretty good in person, It wasnt supposed to be a permanent deal, but I liked how it turned out so Im sticking with it. I made a couple of other more contemporary handles that will go on other projects. As long as my comebacks dont offend anyone, I tend to not be offended by critisism.

Sorry it took so long i got so sick it caused me to go to hospital puking from seeing that pic till i was hacking blood!

Actually just kidding if it trips your trigger then fine Its not my cup of vodka.

I would think it would no be conducive to a sencond follow up shot would be very painful. 

Rod

1628[/snapback]

glad your better.

as to a follow up shot, its actually not bad, I tried it out at the range after I did it. Its a little longer than a standard handle and moves very well. Im sure if I had to hit it really hard with my palm, Id probably think twice before trying a second time. but as for a standard quick lift, its good. A friend wants me to make him one with a standard ball on the end. That will probably look better than a nail head. wink.gif

Not my glass of warm Budweiser.

However, just for some perspective, if "butterknife" bolt handles were not associated with pre-war Oberndorf sporters, how many here would foul a keyboard with bile if a forum member posted a photo of a "new idea" he had come up with for just such a handle?

As classy as the butterknife handles are I personally have no affection for them.